The Youngstown State volleyball team will host a tournament in September and play 13 matches at Beeghly Center in 2017, YSU head coach Mark Hardaway announced.
The Penguins will begin their 2017 schedule with a tournament at Morehead State Aug. 25-26, and YSU will play its earliest home contest in program history when it hosts Robert Morris on Aug. 29. After a three-match tournament at UTEP, YSU will return home to play La Salle on Labor Day.
Youngstown State will then host Fort Wayne, Saint Francis U and Akron in the Penguin Invitational on Sept. 8-9. It will be the Penguins' first non-conference tournament at Beeghly Center since 2013, and the matches on Sept. 9 will be part of a busy day on campus as the YSU football team will host Robert Morris at 2 p.m. Youngstown State will conclude the tournament circuit at the Toledo Blue/Gold Invitational the following weekend.
The Penguins will begin Horizon League play at UIC on Sept. 22, and their first home conference match will be Sept. 29 against Northern Kentucky.
Youngstown State's remaining Horizon League home schedule includes conference newcomer IUPUI on Sept. 30, Cleveland State on Oct. 6, Wright State on Oct. 11, Green Bay on Oct. 20, UIC on Oct. 21, Oakland on Nov. 5 and Milwaukee on Nov. 11. The Penguins will celebrate Parents Night Oct. 21, and Senior Night will be Nov. 11 against Milwaukee.
- YSU will be playing Delaware State, North Dakota and UTEP for the first time in program history.
- YSU will play New Mexico in two different tournaments. The Penguins will play the Lobos at UTEP on Sept. 1 and at Toledo on Sept. 15. YSU and UWN have not played since 2003.
- Youngstown State and Morehead State will play at MSU for the first time since the teams were both members of the Ohio Valley Conference in the 1980s.
- YSU will play La Salle at Beeghly Center for the first time since 1989.
- The match in the Penguin Invitational against Fort Wayne will be a reunion of sorts. IPFW assistant coach Jasmine Fullove was an assistant coach at Youngstown State with Hardaway in the 2012 and 2013 seasons.
- IUPUI will play at Beeghly Center for the first time since both the Jaguars and Penguins were members of the Mid-Continent Conference in 2000.