Penguins Fall 4-3 to Louisiana
Lafayette, La. - The Youngstown State women's tennis team dropped a tough match against the Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette on Wednesday falling 4-3 at the Bourgeois Courts.
YSU won three of the six singles matches against Louisiana (10-6) and one of three doubles matches.
In No. 1 singles, Paula de Man came back with 3-6, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5 decision to defeat Sophie Van den Aarssen. At No. 3, Marta Burak defeated Melissa Burckhartt 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. The Penguins won in No. 5 singles when Lauren Hankle won in straight sets by a score of 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 over Bailey VanDyke.
Burak and Margarita Sadovnikova won against Van den Aarssen and Nicole Breaux 8-6 in doubles play, but the Ragin Cajuns picked up the point by winning the other two matches.
Youngstown State will move onto face Oakland at the Boardman Tennis Center on Thursday, March 21. The Penguins (7-7) have dropped four duals this year by a 4-3 score, including two straight.
Louisiana 4, Youngstown State 3
1. de Man, Paula (YSU) def. Sophie Van den Aarssen (UL) 3-6, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
2. Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Sadovnikova, M. (YSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
3. Burak, Marta (YSU) def. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
4. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Jesko, Carolyn (YSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Hankle, Lauren (YSU) def. Bailey VanDyke (UL) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
6. Hannah Appleyard (UL) def. Brendel, Annina (YSU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Burak, Marta/Sadovnikova, M. (YSU) def. Van den Aarssen/Nicole Breaux (UL) 8-6
2. Juliette Clement/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. de Man, Paula/Hankle, Lauren (YSU) 8-5
3. Bailey VanDyke/Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Jesko, Carolyn/Brendel, Annina (YSU) 8-3
Youngstown State University 7-7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,5,6,2,3,1)