The Youngstown State softball team won at least 25 games for the third straight season and finished in the top three of the Horizon League for the third consecutive season. Those accomplishments are just two of the many team and individual highlights of a successful 2018 campaign.
Below is a list of team and individual accomplishments during the 2018 campaign:
- Head Coach Brian Campbell became the program's all-time wins leader after an 11-5 win over North Carolina A&T on March 10. He finished the season with 226 wins at YSU and picked up his 500th career win with a 2-1 win over Northern Kentucky on April 10. Campbell closed out the campaign with 511 career victories.
- The Penguins won 25 games overall for the third straight season, which mark the first time in school history YSU has won at least 25 games in three consecutive years.
- Youngstown State also won 14 games in Horizon League play and finished third in the league. Over the last three season, the Penguins have won a combined 46 Horizon League games for an average of 15.3 wins per season.
- The Penguins set a pair of single-game records in 2018 by collected 20 hits against North Carolina A&T on March 10 and recorded seven stolen bases against Oakland on April 7.
- From April 13 to April 28, the Penguins won nine straight games, which is tied for the second-longest consecutive win streak in school history.
- Junior Lexi Zappitelli was named All-Horizon League First-Team after batting .413 with 13 doubles, three triples, two home runs and 22 RBIs. Zappitelli, who became just the eighth player in school history to back above .400, ranks sixth on the YSU single-season batting average list. She ranked in the top 10 in seven different Horizon League statistical categories.
- Maddi Lusk, Elle Buffenbarger and Yazmine Romero were all named to the All-Horizon League Second-Team, while Buffenbarger and Romero were named to the All-Freshman Team. Buffenbarger collected 132 strikeouts while Romero led the team and ranked second in the Horizon League with 66 hits.
- Romero set the YSU freshman hits record and her 66 hits are sixth on the YSU single-season list.
- Buffenbarger picked up 10 wins and her 132 strikeouts rank fifth on the single-season chart.
- Junior Paige Geanangel led the Penguins with 12 wins and moved into sixth place on the YSU career wins chart with 34. She
- Senior Cali Mikovich ended her career ranked in the top 10 in 11 statistical categories. She finished second in grand slams with two, tied for third with nine triples, fourth with 128 runs and 33 stolen bases, tied for fourth with 25 home runs, sixth with a .534 slugging percentage seventh with 182 hits and 109 RBIs, and 10th with a .316 batting average.
- Senior Stevie Taylor led the Penguins with seven home runs and ended her career ranked tied for ninth with 18 career homers.
- Senior Hannah Lucas ended her career ranked third with 37 stolen bases and tied for sixth with 102 runs scored.