Campos Picks Up Win In Match Against Penn State
University Park, Pa. -- Freshman Rodrigo Campos picked up a straight set win at No. 5 singles as the Youngstown State men's tennis team suffered a 6-1 setback at Penn State on Sunday morning at the PSU Indoor Tennis Center.
Campos defeated C.J. Griffin 6-2, 6-4 to pick up the lone singles victory for the Penguins. At No. 6, senior Rob Emig battled before dropping a 6-2, 7-5 decision to Chris Young.
The Nittany Lions won all three singles matches to take that point and won five of six singles matches.
"Today was a very big test for us against a nationally-ranked team," Head Coach Mark Klysner said. "It definitely gave us an idea where we stand in terms of getting to the next level. I was extremely impressed by the way Rodrigo played today. He came up with a big win over a very good opponent. I was happy to see how he handled himself and continued to play aggressive throughout the match."
YSU return to action on Friday, March 25 when the visit Chicago State.
Penn State 6, Youngstown State 1
1. Eddie Bourchier/Russell Bader (PSU) def. Tariq Ismail/Max Schmerin (YSU), 8-3
2. Bryan Welnetz/Chris Hasyn (PSU) def. Felipe Rosa/Rodrigo Campos (YSU), 8-2
3. Jason Lee/C.J. Griffin (PSU) def. Zeeshan Ismial/Rob Emig (YSU), 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Eddie Bourchier (PSU) def. Tariq Ismail (YSU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Jason Lee (PSU) def. Felipe Rosa (YSU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) def. Max Schmerin (YSU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Zeeshan Ismail (YSU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Rodrigo Campos (YSU) def. C.J. Griffin (PSU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Chris Young (PSU) def. Rob Emig (YSU), 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6