Nov 27, 2018
|Youngstown State at Robert Morris|
|Date & Time||Wednesday, Nov. 28 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||North Athletic Complex | Moon Township, Pa.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | RMU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team returns to action when it visits Robert Morris, Wednesday, Nov. 28. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. in Moon Township, Pa.
The Penguins continue their two-game road trip with a matchup against Big 12 member West Virginia, Saturday, Dec. 1. Tipoff is slate for 4 p.m. at the WVU Coliseum.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 135-66 overall and is 11-28 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Andy Poole is in his ninth season as head coach at Robert Morris. He owns a career record of 153-126 and led the Colonials to the 2015 NCAA Tournament, two Northeast Conference Regular-Season Championships and was named the NEC Jim Phelan Coach of the Year in 2014.
Storylines and Notes
• Junior Kendale Hampton led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. He made seven 3-pointers, which is tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016.
• Over the last two games, junior Donel Cathcart III is averaging 22.5 points per game while shooting 57.7 percent from the field and 46.2 percent from 3-point range. He has made six 3-pointers in those contests.
• This is the 19th meeting between Youngstown State and Robert Morris in a series that dates back to 1989. The Colonials own a 10-8 advantage in the all-time series and snapped a four-game losing streak to YSU with an 81-74 win at the Beeghly Center last season.
• The Penguins have made at least 10 3-pointers three times this season and have made at least eight 3s in a game on six occasions.
• In Youngstown State's seven games, the Penguins have had five different leading scorers. Juniors Donel Cathcart III Kendale Hampton have led Penguins in scoring twice while junior Devin Morgan, sophomore Garrett Covington and freshman Olamide Pedersen have all led the Penguins once.
• Junior Donel Cathcart III and freshman Darius Quisenberry each scored career highs with 27 and 21 points, respectively, against FIU on Nov. 18. It marked the first time two player reached at least 20 points in the same game since Feb. 24, 2018.
The Penguins continue their short two-game road swing at West Virginia, Saturday, Dec. 1. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and AT&T Sport Net Pitt.
Bohannon Named Preseason All-Horizon League Second-Team
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon was named to the 2018 Preseason All-Horizon League Team after a vote of the league's head coaches, athletics communications directors and media.
• Bohannon was named to the Horizon League All-Freshman Team in 2017-18 after averaging 7.2 points and 8.1 rebounds per game, which ranked sixth in the Horizon League.
• He scored 230 points and grabbed 259 rebounds, the most by a YSU player since 1991-92.
• Bohannon had at least 10 rebounds seven times and posted four double-doubles.
• Bohannon also scored in double figures eight times and posted a career-high 16 points against Cleveland State on March 2.
About Robert Morris
• Robert Morris enters the game with an overall record of 3-3 and is coming off an 84-46 loss to Purdue on Nov. 23.
• The Colonials also own a 2-0 record at home and a 1-3 mark on the road.
• The Colonials also defeated Stetson, 81-72, on Nov. 19.
• Leading Robert Morris is Josh Williams with 18 points per game.
• Williams is shooting 49.2 percent from 3-point range and tied an NCAA record with 15 3-pointers made against Mount Aloysius on Nov. 14.
• The Colonials set a school record with 22 3s against Mount Aloysius.
• Malik Petteway is also in double figures for the Colonials with 12.2 points per game.
The Robert Morris Series
• This is the 19th meeting between Youngstown State and Robert Morris in a series that dates back to 1989.
• The Colonials own a 10-8 advantage in the all-time series and snapped a four-game losing streak to YSU with an 81-74 win at the Beeghly Center last season.
• After winning five of the first seven games, the Penguins lost seven straight to the Colonials from 2001-11.
• YSU won four straight from 2013-17 before falling last season.
Last Time Against RMU
• The Penguins dropped an 81-74 decision to Robert Morris on Nov. 29, 2017.
• Devin Haygood led the Penguins with 15 points while Garrett Covington and Braun Hartfield each had 12 points.
• YSU shot 43.9 percent making 29-of-66 shots while grabbing 33 rebounds.
• RMU shot 53.1 percent for the game making 26-of-49 attempts.
• The Colonials attempted 13 more free throws then the Guins.
Last time Out
• Five players scored in double figures in a 104-66 win over Westminster on Nov. 21.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry and Jelani Simmons each had 13 points and junior Kendale Hampton added 10.
• YSU shot 50.6 percent from the field and made 12 3-pointers.
• The Penguins also posted 29 fast-break points and scored 53 points off the bench.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its ninth win over Robert Morris.
• Mark the fifth win in the last six games against the Colonials.
• Mark YSU's third straight win over the Colonials in Moon Township, Pa.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 136th career win and his 12th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,088th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 4-4 overall record.
• Mark YSU's first true road win of the season.
Penguins Dig the Long Ball
• Youngstown State has made at least 10 3-pointers on three different occasions this season.
• The Penguins made 12 against Westminster on Nov. 21 and Akron on Nov. 10.l
• Against Columbia on Nov. 16, the Penguins made a season-high 14 3-pointers.
• It that total ranks tied for fourth on the YSU single-game list for most 3-pointers made.
• YSU has also made at least eight 3-pointers in six of seven games.
• The Penguins rank 19th nationally with 67 made 3-pointers through seven games.
Bohannon Board Beast
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon was one of the top rebounders in the Horizon League last season with 8.1 boards per game.
• He is picking up right where he left off with 8.6 rebounds per game this season, which ranks fourth in the Horizon League.
• In his 39-game career, Bohannon has 319 rebounds for an average of 8.2 rebounds per game.
Covington Among Nation's Tops
• Sophomore Garrett Covington ranks second in the Horizon League with 2.1 steals per game.
• Covington also ranks 20th in the nation in total steals with 15.
• As a team, Youngstown State ranks 14th nationally with 59 total steals.
• Junior Donel Cathcart III, who is nicknamed "Zoomie", has been an offensive spark for the Penguins as of late.
• Over the last two games, Cathcart averaged 22.5 points per game and shot 57.7 percent from the floor and 46.2 percent from 3-point range.
• Cathcart made six 3s in the last two games.
• He has also made 15 straight free-throw attempts, dating back to Nov. 12.
Penguins on the Boards
• Through seven games, Youngstown State ranks in the top 10 nationally in total rebounds.
• The Penguins are 10th with 297.
• YSU also ranks 11th in the country with 15.1 offensive rebounds per game.