Youngstown State will be holding cheerleading tryouts on May 12-13 at the Beeghly Center for individuals interested in joining the squad for the 2017-18 season.
Tryouts will be held in the gymnastic room directly below the basketball court, in the basement of Beeghly. Tryouts are open to males and females who are current full-time YSU students or high-school seniors who are planning to enroll at YSU in the fall. All current YSU students who attend the tryout must be in good academic standing.
Friday's session is from 4:30-9 p.m. while Saturday's session will be held from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Students who wish to participate must provide a self portrait, a list of cheerleading experience and the 2017-18 Cheerleading Application form.
Those attending the tryout should wear shorts, t-shirts or tank top and tennis shoes. (Prefer YSU school colors). The mandatory requirements for females are listed below.
Members of the team cheer at football games, men's & women's basketball games and will travel based on community service hours and seat availability.
Toe touch, Double Toe touch, Herkie, and Pike jump
Sideline cheers taught on Friday (3)
Original sideline chant made up by you (performed on Saturday)
The YSU fight song dance taught on Friday
Partner and quad stunting- no experience needed/taught on Friday
Tumbling - You must be able to tumble in order to tryout (Females Only)
Unspotted round-off backhandspring
Unspotted standing backhandspring
Other items to be aware of before entering tryout week:
- Cheerleading is a full-year commitment from May until next year's tryout.
- Current YSU candidates must be considered full time (12 hours) and in good academic standing
- High school seniors must be a full-time student (12 hours) in Fall 2017
- Practice schedule for summer and school year is twice a week
- You are only excused from 2 summer practices. (EXCUSED meaning: illness, vacations, birthdays, & personal time). After your 2 missed practice, you can be removed from the team.