Thomas F. Mosure Hall of Gridiron Glory
The Thomas F. Mosure Hall of Gridiron Glory will honor and preserve the history of Youngstown State football. The Hall will provide Penguin football fans a venue to deepen their appreciation for the history of Penguin football and its unique role in our University's and our Valley's rich heritage.
Located on the fourth level concourse of Stambaugh, the Thomas F. Mosure Penguin Hall of Gridiron Glory will serve to celebrate 70 years of Penguin football tradition while honoring former Penguin great, Thomas F. Mosure, who passed away in August 2000. Mosure was a standout halfback for Youngstown College from 1953 to 1955 leading the Penguins to an 18-8 record over that time span. He graduated from Youngstown College in 1956 with a degree in civil engineering, beginning a life-long relationship of support for YSU. Mosure was a member of the YSU Foundation Board of Trustees and promoter of Penguin Athletics; most important, an endowed scholarship is awarded to a deserving member of the Penguin football team annually, in Mr. Mosure's name. The recipient exemplifies Mr. Mosure's athletic ability and commitment to academic excellence.
The Hall will be open on game days to Penguin fans and will be available for group gatherings and tours throughout the year. Highlighting the room is a beautiful carved oak "Penguins" panel on the west wall. The room houses a large lighted display case visible from the concourse. On the north wall will be lighted display cases with additional pedestal display cases in the center of the room. The south wall is a photo gallery featuring every era of Penguin football.
Prominently displayed in the room will be a portrait of Mr. Mosure with an inscription reading, "This plaque recognizes the generosity of family and friends of Tom Mosure." Accompanying the portrait, is a picture of the 1954 Penguin Football Team.
Items on Display at Mosure Hall
- A 1994 team photo autographed by then President Bill Clinton
- The Sears National Championship Trophies from the 1993, 1994
and 1997 title
- Two 1938 Football Jerseys, from the first season of YSU Football
- The First Penalty Flag in College Football History, which was created by YSU
- 1992 and 1999 NCAA Division I-AA Second-Place Trophies (The
I-AA Trophies are on display in the Kilcawley Center)
- 1978 and 1979 Mid-Continent Conference Champions Trophies
- 1987 Ohio Valley Conference Champions Trophy
- Camp Fitch Memorabilia (Home of YSU Fall Camp from 1938 through 1972)
- 1978 NCAA Division II Semifinalist Trophy
- 1979 NCAA Division II Second-Place Trophy
- Memorabilia from Stambaugh Stadium's first game in 1982
- Various jerseys, photos, ticket stubs and game programs